Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Handmade Gifts: Felt Flower Pillows

My new found love affair with felt is nowhere near to being over and, being the holidays, I thought I should be making some gifts with felt. I know members of my family might not be so interested in needle felted critters or felt fascinators, so I perused around online until I saw some beautiful (now discontinued) sewn flower pillows from Nordstrom's. Then, with a little more research, I found a couple of blogs with some similar felt flower patterns. Cluck, Cluck, Sew has this basic flower pattern and One Lovely Life had some more details on the same idea. I was disappointed in both of their choices for the base of the pillows. I wanted a 100% wool felt on felt pillow.

You start by cutting out a million petals. I am making four pillows and keeping each flower monotone. Both patterns suggested using 2 petal sizes. I used 3.
Next, I placed a plate upside down and centered on my felt square and traced around it with a sharpie. Pin your first petals down and stitch in place.
I think the contrast is really lovely.
Keep going, switching to the medium size petals about 4 rows in.

At the fourth layer, I began to pleat the petals so that they would add volume. I filled the center with a pleated circle hand sewn in place. The texture is really lovely.
The green one at the top shows the pleats really well. Finished photos tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. They're really beautiful. I think I'm going to start experimenting with felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen pillows like these before, but yours are fuller and absolutely bursting with color! (I agree that the base should be felt, too...but what else would I think, I'm a felter!!)
    These will be a sure hit!
    Happy Holidays to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I just love touching the flowers. Now I have to make some more for my house!

    ReplyDelete