Sunday, January 29, 2012

What I Ate: Panzanella Salad


I made Panzanella salad for lunch today and it was dee-lish-ous.  Panzanella is a classic Italian salad made with day old bread and tomatoes.  Of course it tastes far far better in summer with proper, honest to goodness ripe tomatoes but in the middle of winter I crave a tomato once in a while and give into the urge and buy the organic cherry tomatoes that almost taste like real tomatoes.  I even made the bread that I used in the salad! 

Panzanella has so many different variations and usually contains basil which I absolutely refused to buy for $4 for pathetic wilted leaves.  Instead I used arugula. 

Tear up or cut up some day old (white bread preferred) bread into bite sized pieces and saute in a little olive oil/butter mix to soften.  Stir frequently for a few minutes, toss in a few minced cloves garlic and stir for 30 seconds and remove from heat.  Toss bread with halved cherry tomatoes, a handful of arugula, sliced cucumber, red onion, fresh mozzarella, and sliced salami.  Toss with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I used a balsamic reduction and it was extra yummy.  Add salt and pepper and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment