Thursday, February 23, 2012

Home For a Unicorn

I decided I really wanted to make a unicorn for one of my final projects this quarter in my fiber arts program.  We've had a lot of interesting discussion in and outside of class about expectations for the class and our own artwork that got me thinking that a lot of times artists can be unrealistic in what they can and will achieve when they take a class.  Not always a bad thing; it is good to aim high versus thinking your art will always be so-so or just making something easy that you already know how to do.  I was thinking of the unicorn as this unobtainable thing that we were all looking for.  I needle felted the unicorn out of 100% Corriedale and Merino wools.  It took about 6 hours.

But part of this last project is that we have to use a fellow student's project from that last assignment and incorporate it into our new piece.  Which is fun because it makes us get over obsessing about the preciousness of our art and just let go a bit.

I had quite a challenge with mine because I received a fabric wall hanging and I don't usually use fabric in my sculpture.  First, I decided to over dye it with a shibori style of dying to tone down the bright blue and aqua tones.  I love how it turned out. 

Next, I started cutting the pieces into strips and wrapping and gluing them around a metal armature that I made.  
It is not quite done yet as I am waiting for more of the glued fabric to dry.  I felted a mossy looking bit of wool to sit inside the cage and then the unicorn will go inside it.  I love messing with wire and wool!

2 comments:

  1. I love the eyes and hair on the unicorn. I like that the hair still looks flowing but it is felted! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I had so much fun making the unicorn. I had to redo the tail once and the horn about 7 times!

    ReplyDelete