Our friends Jessica and Steven are getting married this weekend and way before all this buying a house/moving nonsense came up, I told her I would make the favors for her wedding. She liked the idea of reclaimed tin birds on metal sticks. It ended up taking me a lot more time to make these than I thought. But that's always the way it is right? I didn't want to rush, however, because I wanted them to be perfect for her.
This is what our dining room looked like for the last 2 days while I was attaching the wires. I set the wire with epoxy and they had to sit for 24 hours to set in a warm area. While my studio has a heater, it is not warm all the time so I had to finish them inside.
My first tests with attaching the wires was terrifying because the first brand of epoxy I bought wasn't strong enough. Then I tried JB Weld. While it worked, it was an ugly gray color and looked awful. Finally, I got the idea to make a spiral out of the ends of the wires and then hammer them flat and sand them to allow a lot more surface area to glue. Next, I bought some Gorilla Glue 2 Part Epoxy.
Amazing success! The spiral in combination with the Gorilla Glue did the trick. I know I went a little heavy handed on the epoxy, but I wanted to make sure it would stick.
Each bird is completely unique.
I used everything from decorative tins to olive oil tins to cookie tins.
I couldn't pick out a favorite. Practically every one I thought, I like this one the best. Then I would pick up the next one and say, no, I like this one the best.
Phew, she picked them all up today.