Thursday, October 13, 2011

Healthy Eats and Reads

After my husband and I started to take our running more seriously last year, we decided to subscribe to Runner's World magazine.  Most of my life I have turned my nose away from athletic magazines because a) I wasn't super athletic and thought you had to be obsessed and all muscled out to buy those sort of magazines and b) I thought they wouldn't have anything very interesting to say anyways.

Happily, my assumptions were wrong (about RW, at least) and I am completely absorbed by each Runner's World and read them all cover to cover.  Besides tips for training or stories of athletes or what clothes to buy, they frequently include several healthy recipes.  One that caught my eye this month was Edamame Hummus.  After googling it, I realized that lots of people have already made this, but thank you, RW, for giving me the idea.  We eat a lot of hummus in this family so it's nice to get away from garbanzo beans once in a while.  
Runner's World Edamame Hummus

1 package (16 ounces) shelled, frozen edamame
3 tablespoons tahini
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 large clove garlic, smashed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold water
  
In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a rapid boil. Pour in the edamame. Return to a boil and cook for about 6 minutes, or until the beans are creamy inside and easy to smash with a fork. Drain the edamame and dunk in a large bowl of cold water, about 3 minutes. Drain when cool.
 

In a food processor fitted with a metal blade or in a blender, combine the edamame, tahini, oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Pulse, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally, until the mixture is pureed smooth. Add cold water, a little at a time, until the mixture is creamy.
Serve with pita and crudites.  
 
OK, let me just admit a few things here.  I made this from memory and so I inadvertently changed several things.  

1) I didn't cook the edamame and thought it tasted just fine.  I defrosted them in the fridge overnight.
2) Didn't add the olive oil and honestly didn't miss it that much although mine doesn't look as creamy as their example.
3) Forgot the salt and did miss it.
4) I doubled the garlic.

To make this cute little shape, I just packed the hummus into a 1/2 cup measuring cup and then inverted it onto the plate.  Maybe a good way to serve it would be with a drizzle of olive oil over the top. 
 
I was also thinking it might be nice with roasted garlic or cilantro ir olives mixed into it for a little more fusion cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment