Friday, June 5, 2009

Dessert for Breakfast


Whenever I do copious amounts of yard work, I crave something sweet and rewarding for the end of the day.

Last night as I made potato salad for dinner, I made a chocolate meringue pie for dessert, and am enjoying it for breakfast as I write.

I made the crust from scratch; it's so easy with a food processor. But I made the chocolate pudding part, I can hardly believe I am admitting this, from a Jell-o mix. I was feeling a little too lazy and tired to make the chocolate pudding from scratch as well.

However, I love making meringue. My meringue tastes good, but this came out a little sub-par in the looks department because I forgot I was out of cream of tartar. Cream of tartar is used as a stabilizer in the egg whites. You can substitute lemon juice, which I did, but it doesn't come out quite the same. I am NOT complaining about the flavor, however.

I'll just have to do it again, this time the whole thing from scratch. Maybe, though, I'll do it when I am having a party; I have 5 slices left!

No comments:

Post a Comment