Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mardi Gras King Cake


So our wine tasting group got together last night at Paul and Sue's house this month and instead of having a Valentine's themed party, they decided to go with a Mardi Gras themed party. Celebrating Mardi Gras is not such a big deal in the Pacific Northwest. (I guess we don't really feel the need to get our party on before Lent.)

Our wine tasting focused on Pinot Noirs and I am not such a big Pinot fan, so I can't remember much about what I tasted. I did like one Chilean Pinot, but the name escapes me completely. However, the food was great!-- It was a nice treat to eat Jumbalaya, dirty rice, spicy Cajun slaw and Greg's delicious Muffalettas. We also dressed up in festive clothing with lots of beads. I decided to make King Cake.

I got this recipe straight off the YumSugar site. It looks complicated but it is pretty darn easy and it was a big hit since it isn't super sweet and tastes more like a cinnamon roll than cake. I opted out of the yellow sugar, though, and did blue instead. I thought it was more esthetically pleasing. As you can see, it made a big mess on my counter!

Happy Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year and Mardi Gras!

2 comments:

  1. That cake tasted BETTER than a cinnamon roll! So yummy.

    The Chilean pinot was Inka. It was my favorite, too. I really like Oregon pinot noirs and even some Walla Walla pinot noirs, but there wasn't a lot at the party that I liked- I was surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo-hoo!!! That's the wine we brought. And the cake was delicious!

    ReplyDelete