Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Miso Cookies

The recipe called for miso paste and half an egg -- I had to make these cookies!  Sorry, I'm getting a little ahead of myself.  My book club dinner/meeting is tonight, and I'm assigned to bring a dessert.  I rarely make desserts but, when I do, I love to make desserts with a unique twist.  So I'm looking at recipes from one of my favorite websites, japanesecooking101, and that's when I saw the recipe for Miso Cookies.

The recipe goes together like a regular sugar cookie recipe, with the exception of the miso and half an egg.  To solve the egg problem I simply whisked one egg, and divided into two small bowls.  One bowl I used for the cookie dough, and the rest of the egg -- well you'll see what I did with that at the end of this post.  The recipe didn't specify what type of miso to use, and so I used white miso paste because of its characteristically mild, and slightly sweet taste.

After combining all the ingredients divide the dough into half, then roll into logs about 2" in diameter, and pop into the fridge to chill for a couple hours.  And yes, I do use a ruler and measure -- don't you?

When the dough has chilled, roll it in raw sugar.  Unless you're in my house, and the closest thing you have is red decorating sugar.

The cookies are delicious.  Buttery, lightly sweet, and you can definitely taste the miso which adds a nutty flavor.


Oh, and the rest of the egg?  I made Kinshi Tamago, or golden threads to top the noodle soup I made for lunch.

Miso Cookies
Japanese Cooking 101
makes approximately 3 dozen

2 Tbsp Miso paste
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
raw sugar

Beat miso, butter, and sugar in a bowl until creamy.  Add egg and beat some more.  Then add flour and baking soda, and mix until dough comes together.

Cut dough in half, and shape into a 2" round log, using flour if the dough is sticking (or cool in fridge for 30 minutes until firm).  Roll and coat with raw sugar.  Wrap with plastic and refrigerator for a couple of hours.

Slice the dough into 1/2" thick rounds.  Place cookies on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.

Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment