Monday, June 27, 2011

Retro Memories

My dad recently came back from a trip to visit relatives in Montana and brought me back a bag full of my grandmother's old Valentine's Day cards.  She turns 90 this year, so these are as retro as retro gets: 75-85 years old.  They are in pretty good shape too.
 

I am not sure what I am going to do with them, but they have some awfully sweet designs that could inspire me, especially the borders.


Dad was thinking I could scrapbook or create some collage with them but I may need to think about it for a bit before I cut anything up.  

I just love these butterflies. 

While cute, some don't make a ton of sense, but I don't think it really matters.

Lots of cute animals and hints at art deco.


Many of them are cut out precisely around the designs.  I like this.  When I was 6 years old, they were all boring rectangular cards without much artistry; lots of Garfield and Snoopy if I remember correctly.

Cute Jack Russell terrier and love that font. 

My hand is covering this a little but it says, "I sentence you for Life to be my Valentine." 

This one is one of my favorites.  Very Betty Boopish.  

Now this one scares me a little.  I think it is supposed to be Shirley Temple (Who was born in 1928, so this could be when my grandmother was 11 or so and Shirley was 4.) only it looks more like a zombie to me.  Check out the lovely border in comparison! 

And this one was down right offensive to my sensibilities.  There were a couple of black face ones too, but I was too horrified to show them here. 

But this one is my absolute favorite.  She is so cute and I love her coat and boots! I might just have to get this one framed.

Did you save your Valentine's from school?  I am pretty sure my mom threw ours out as soon as we got them home!  

1 comment: