Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Felted Vessel Samples

 It is nearly the end of my first quarter in the Fiber Arts Certificate program at UW and I am working on my final project.

The goal is to create something you have never created before in order to learn new tasks.  I decided to work with a hollow vase form in felt, something I have been wanting to do since I started making 3-D forms to make into pillows.  I have also been experimenting using stiffeners and glues to make the pieces hold up and retain their form better.

I started with these 3 little bowls.  It is hard to get the felt into focus since it is so fuzzy.  The camera kept wanting to focus on the wood behind them. 

I felt good about the little bowls I made and so I ventured into larger territory.  

This vase is actually being donated to an auction next week.  The black spots were all done with needle felting but the rest of the colors were all felted in the wet felting process.

I used the fabric stiffener brand "Stiffy" to create a nice crisp edge.  My professor also recommended GAC 400, a Golden Artist's product, to try out as well.  I haven't gotten up to Daniel Smith art supply in Seattle to get any yet.  I don't think I can get it in Tacoma.  I might have to just order it online.

I love working with color in wet felting.  It is endlessly fascinating to me all the ways you can overlap color and blend.
I hope someone likes this vase and bids on it! Now I am ready to start my final project.  Fingers crossed!  It is going to be an octopus vessel.  Can't explain what that means really; you'll just have to wait and see when I get some photos of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment