Saturday, March 12, 2011

Coffee Toffee Cookies

I have been yearning for a cookie dropper, you know, like a melon baller, but for cookies. It just adds a nice evenness to the cookies so they all cook the same and I would like to think takes your baking level up a notch. I have been thinking about it for a while and looked at nice ones at Williams and Sonoma and then of course I caved in and bought a cheapie brand at Fred Meyers the other day. And it turns out the scoop part gets out of alignment with nearly every scoop so now I am not sure if I want to try and get my money back or give up and go back to scooping uneven cookies with spoons.

But they look so pretty waiting to go in the oven:

This is just your basic chocolate chip cookie dough but instead of chocolate chips, I use Heath Bar Bits and instant coffee. Heath Bars are about the only big commercial candy bars that I actually like. And they make these cookies extra delicious: toffee heaven really. Trevor doesn't normally inhale cookies the way I do, but he really enjoys these.

Coffee Toffee Cookies

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 heaping Tablespoon instant coffee
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 package Heath Bar bits

Heat oven to 375 F.

Cream butter and sugars in mixer. Add eggs, vanilla, and instant coffee and blend well until the coffee has dissolved into the batter. Add baking soda and half of the flour and mix until just combined and then beat in remaining flour. Mix in Heath Bar bits. (I think the whole package is a little too much, but you can go ahead and use it all if you want. I like to have a few bits of Heath Bar to snack on later!)

Drop on an ungreased baking sheet with your lovely cookie dropper or use spoons the old fashioned way.

Bake 9 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.

Yum! I like to keep the dough in the fridge and make a little batch every day. They taste so good right out of the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment