Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Learning From My Mistakes

My first big nuno scarf was too thick so on this second one I tried to use less wool.

It worked pretty well. The black part of the scarf is mostly silk with just a little gray and black felted to it and is nice and comfortable around the neck. The red is a little too thin on the edges. It's okay structurally, but just not the look I was going for.

I really love playing with the colors and experimenting with design.

I am getting closer to the ruffles that I desire.

I am also experimenting with "pre-felts". These are bits of color that you felt a little and then rinse them and dry them and cut them out and you can then add them on top of other felting or silks and get nice crisp edges.

Well, you are supposed to get nice crisp edges. I have been having a little trouble with figuring out how far to take the pre-felts. Sometimes I don't work the felt enough and the pre-felts fall apart. Other times I nearly felt them and then they won't felt to anything! I envision a lovely white silk scarf with cascading flowers and petals.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be worth doing, right?

Today I am going to try making a hand bag with a slug on it!

2 comments:

  1. I wish my "mistakes" looked that good! Keep it going...you will get those ruffles soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks! Will post photos soon of my "slug" purse!

    ReplyDelete