Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What I Ate: Multigrain Pasta with Peanut Sauce

I love to read cookbooks like novels and fantasize about what I should make. Lately, I have been wanting to cook both lunch and dinner every day in order to eat healthier and save money. This might get old and pretty soon I will be craving the steak salad at Maxwell's. But for now I am cooking up a storm.

I am trying to cook on the healthier side especially since our half marathon is this Sunday. So no drinking and no fried foods for us this whole week!

I already have my own, in my head, peanut sauce recipe I make but I got the idea to put edamame in a salad from Women's Health magazine. (Or something like that: ever since we rejoined Bally's, I get some random health magazine in the mail every month. And Trevor keeps getting all these men magazines full of dude stuff like car racing.)

I can't really give you a recipe for my peanut sauce because it is different every time. But basically I blend creamy peanut butter, soy sauce, red chili sauce, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and enough water to make it nice and creamy in a food processor. Heavy on the peanut butter and soy sauce and lighter on the other ingredients. Easy to play with and if you have to make a ton of it to get the portions right, oh well, guess you'll just have some yummy leftovers!

The rest is just multigrain pasta (but could be rice noodles or regular pasta), red cabbage, carrots, shelled edamame, cilantro, and green onions. We never get sick of this. Sometimes I will add chicken or chicken sausage too. And 3 Bean Munchies are a must when I can find them.

It's one of those wonderful dishes you can multiply easily so that you can eat it for a couple of days or bring to a potluck.

2 comments:

  1. uh YUM!!! looks awesome. wish we were closer so i could come over and mooch food off you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always cook way too much food and call people too last minute to come over and share it!

    ReplyDelete