Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What I Ate: Chicken and Dumpling Soup

I came away from the half marathon feeling pretty horrible on Monday. My legs hurt, it was hard to walk up and down stairs, I was so sleepy.

Yesterday was much better. I woke up energized. I mowed the lawn. (Mind you, we only have a push mower so it is a lot of work.) I weed whacked. I worked in the studio. I had a meeting in the evening. I went and saw the late show of Jane Eyre. And in the middle of the day, somewhere between working in the studio and working in the yard, I made chicken and dumpling soup.

Yes, I am slightly crazy. I cut up an organic free range chicken we bought at the Proctor Farmers' Market last weekend. I simmered it for an hour or so with carrots and onions and celery and then I took the chicken out to cool it and strained the chicken broth. Then I sauteed up some onions and leeks and carrots and added the broth and some additional water back to the pot and brought that to a boil. Then I shredded the chicken off the bones and added it back to the pot along with some chopped kale. Then I made dumplings and added them to the pot to cook.

And it was just what I needed. Rich yummy nourishment.

Today I am not as manic. I plan on working on some felting and then going to the Grand Cinema to volunteer and then back to work in the studio to finish up an order I am delivering to Tasty in Seattle tomorrow. And I have to go to the grocery store at some point too. OK, I guess I am doing a lot of stuff today too.

I think I am wanting to keep myself distracted from my 2 toenails that are about to fall off my toes from running 13.1 miles. They hurt more than a little from the blood blisters formed under the nails and I want to go running in the next couple of days and I just don't think it is going to happen. I guess my body is making me take some serious time off for rest.

Today for lunch I think I am just going to make a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment