Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Porridge Weather

It's like somebody flipped a switch and now our late summer is over and we have moved into Fall.  This is my favorite time of year, so I am not complaining; I am over-joyed.  When the weather is cooler in the morning my skin feels better and I just feel like I can breathe easier.  Obviously, I was meant to live in the Pacific Northwest my whole life.

Browsing through my favorite Vietnamese cookbook yesterday, I looked for something that I happened to have all the ingredients for and hit upon Shrimp and Rice Porridge.  The word porridge doesn't do much for me so I have always avoided this recipe.  Yesterday, however, I happened to have all the ingredients on hand so I gave it a try.  And loved it!  Of course I changed it from the original because there never seem to be enough vegetables.  The sriracha gives the porridge a lively zing and a lovely amber color. 

Shrimp and Rice Porridge with Cilantro and Tomatoes
adapted from Quick and Easy Vietnamese by Nancie McDermott
serves 4

1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons fish sauce
freshly ground pepper and salt
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
3/4 cups long-grain rise, rinsed and drained
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 onion, medium chopped
2 carrots, peeled. medium chopped
1 cup dark leafy greens, like kale, cut into thin ribbons
1/2 cup cooking sherry
1 cup tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon sriracha (chile-garlic sauce) or to taste
2-3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

In a medium bowl, combine shrimp with shallot, garlic, fish sauce, and salt and pepper.  Toss well to mix and set aside while rice cooks.

In medium sauce pan bring broth/water to a boil.  Stir in rice, return to boil, and then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat oil in medium sized dutch oven or other heavy duty pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent.  Add kale and carrots and saute an additional 3 minutes or until kale starts to wilt.  Add prawn mixture and cook until prawns start to turn pink.  Add sherry, tomatoes, and cooked rice with broth.  Bring to a light boil and then add sriracha, green onions, and cilantro.   Stir for a minute or two and serve immediately.

Looking forward to leftovers for lunch today!

No comments:

Post a Comment