Sunday, September 4, 2011

37 Things: Commission a Piece of Art

I don't like corporate, mass produced art.  Meaning: "art" that you buy at Ikea or World Market is not art.  It might be pretty wall covering, but it is not art.  I like to be surrounded by unique, handmade pieces.  This item on my list of 37 Things I Want to do Before I Turn 38 took a little longer than I expected.  I tried to commission a painting from another artist about 6 months ago but I think she must have been busy because after a few discussions about it, I never heard from her again.

So when I saw the work of GlitterMortis, I jumped at chance of commissioning a piece from her instead.  She creates funky pop culture portraits using paint and glitter.  I was browsing around on her website and saw a ton of Star Wars characters.  I have always held a special, twisted place in my heart for Boba Fett.  When I lived in a nasty basement apartment 17 years ago, a friend of mine spray painted an amazing Boba Fett on my door.  I have had a Boba Fett action figure hanging from the rear view window of my car for 11 years.  I don't know why, but this bounty hunter is my favorite.  A glitter portrait was an obvious and instantaneous decision.  My husband likes it too.

I will definitely be making this a yearly commitment to buy a piece of art from a fellow artist.  It's a win win: a little gift to myself and supporting an independent artist.  

No comments:

Post a Comment