Monday, October 25, 2010

Halloween Costume Stage 1


I just had to share the start of my Halloween costume. OK, I don't know what or who I am going to be. All I know is that I am going to have a hundred handmade dreads/hair falls/whatever you want to call them in my hair.

I've been thinking about making a wig out of wool for a while. Either dreaded ropes or pig tails but then I started thinking about how expensive that might be and then I started doing research on synthetic dreads and spent all morning watching tutorials on YouTube. What a hoot. I wish I was still a 17 year old goth girl and discovered these skills; what fun I would have had!

Back to 37 year old reality. It took 3 beauty supply stores and a serious drive to South Tacoma to find what I wanted. 100% Kanekalon hair in rainbow colors. When I finally found the store that had them, I had asked for "Kanekalon" and she was confused and when I pointed out the ones in the display that I wanted, she said, "Oh! We call those the kinky! If you had said you were looking for kinky, I would have known what you were talking about!" Funny.
I couldn't decide what I really wanted, and they were so cheap, so I bought a ton of different colors to play with.
These are my second and third tries. I don't have the right kind of comb for the back-combing (ratting) before the hot processing so I need to go get one tomorrow and hopefully they will turn out better.
All in all, I like them quite a bit. It's fun to do and easy to put in and take out. We went out to one of our favorite restaurants tonight for dinner and I wore them and nobody commented and I was a little disappointed. But once I have a full head of them this weekend, I will be sure to get some response.

No comments:

Post a Comment