Thursday, October 21, 2010

Meditations on Physical Therapy


I've figured out the secret to physical therapy and rehabilitating my sore ankle. It's so amazing.

The key is that you actually have to work hard and follow directions.
OK, I might be sounding a little snarky and sarcastic here, and I slightly mean to. But I am very, very serious as well. Working out and taking care of yourself is work. I don't think I am ever going to become one of those triathlon-type personalities, and shoot me if I show up at a bar or restaurant in my workout clothes, but I am starting to notice a lot of people around me that are indifferent to their health. If something goes wrong, they go to a doctor and expect drugs or surgery to make them feel better, but god forbid if they are asked to stop eating garbage food or walk once in a while.

Now that I have entered the ripe era of my life called "the late thirties" I know I need to keep focused on exercising and eating well. My body does not bounce back from injuries like it used to. But it is work and it is worth it. Because I would rather age gracefully, with strength and pain-free.

And luckily, I have a fabulous physical therapist, Melissa, that keeps me motivated. But the physical therapy will only go on so much longer and then I will be on my own and it will be up to me to keep it up. My mind says, yes, I can do this.

And the funny thing, is the more I work out, the better I feel. Somehow, we always think working out is hard. And you will be sore. And grumpy. But is doesn't have to be painful. I have entered a stage where I am starting to feel guilty if I even think about postponing a work out because I don't want to admit to my physical therapist that I'm not following her instructions or taking my recovery seriously.

I'm not trying to preach here as much as say it is never too late to think about your health!

No comments:

Post a Comment